Can I just tell a humorous story that I have not been able to get off my mind? Mostly because it really is that funny but I also cannot pinpoint exactly why it happened.
So, I am learning to drive a motor coach. To be a bus driver is actually a childhood dream come true. No joke. Ask the girls who were my besties in my youth. We had big plans to be bus drivers and/or live in a van down by the river. Maybe I'll camp out by a river someday and make that goal happen too.
Anyway, that's not the humorous story. But I'll get right to it.
I was doing some low-density traffic driving. Just getting the hang of turning left and right on regular-sized streets, etc. My trainer and I were making big circles around the residential area behind the Provo temple. We both noticed that other drivers would smile a little when they looked up to see us. As I drove by the high school and students were out for lunch, the kids crossing the street slowed noticeably when they saw me behind the wheel. There were some looks of surprise, incredulity or maybe I was totally wrong and they were impressed. But the award for the most ridiculous reaction to seeing me goes to the man pushing the baby stroller. I guess I've got to take into consideration that when he thought about enjoying a leisurely walk by the temple with his baby, he didn't think he'd see a 21-year old woman behind the wheel of a 40-ft motor coach. Though you'd think he'd have enough sense to keep his shock to himself rather than turning his head to watch while I turned then stopping completely, mouth open, hand up to shield his eyes from the sun to watch me drive away.
You see me and you better believe that I SEE YOU TOO!
Silly man. But thanks for making me laugh.
I want to believe that he was so interested in watching me drive because he hadn't seen the many students on the same route training for the last few days and was truly intrigued by the giant vehicle roaming around and not because he was frightened that something terrible would happen and he would be a witness to it. Something terrible because I am a woman driver, a young driver or because I'm brown. I just felt judged. The whole thing just tickled LoriLee though. haha I'm glad she could enjoy the moment.
I have a feeling that this is only the beginning of the strange looks. My passengers in Alaska will have plenty to say on the subject of my age, height and gender, I'm sure.
Halloween Fun
9 years ago
"...because I am a woman driver, a young driver or because I'm brown" Oh my gosh I nearly died laughing. Hilarious. Oh man I miss those training days. PS it's cause you're brown... : )
ReplyDelete